map-marker New York, New York

They destroyed my house and I live in a nightmare.

New roof with new leaks. Installed the last week of September 2023.

By mid-October I was hearing suspicious noises in the vicinity of my fireplace. The first week of November brought buckets and tarps. Today is January 10th of 2024 and the nightmare continues.Roof was installed even though the chimney was cracked and crumbling. I think they worsened the situation by going ahead with the install.

Old roof was bad, this one is worse. As of 12/07/23 my chimney was effectively rebuilt. NLHD has not returned to inspect and repair the aftermath of their bad install. The last storm was devastating.

Whats left of the ceiling and trim is cracked and warped. There is mold along the support beams which spread about 13 feet from its origin at the fireplace. I dont think its safe to live here anymore. The wood floors buckle and protest with loud creaks in all the bedrooms beneath the attic.

The vaulted ceiling in the living room peppers me with debris from cracked seams and the force of the warping trim. It looks worse every day and sounds equally awful. When the temperature dips the roof groans as if someone was walking on it. Bits and pieces break off inside the ceiling and attic.

All night long there are pops, cracks and thuds. I have squirrels now too! They skitter and scurry above my head. If you read this and still choose to do business with NLHD you deserve whatever you get.

Im getting a lawyer and Im packing my bags.

From new roof to unsafe structure in under 4 months. They literally killed my house with their negligence and malfeasance.

User's recommendation: Don’t invite the vampires in, it won’t end well.

map-marker New York, New York

My new roof is a disaster

Dont let them in the door. I shouldve known it was a scam when the sales rep pulled the today only price routine along with calling his boss to lower the price.

I signed despite the red flags and higher price. I believed the hype about the company and its reputation. It seemed like there was a value add with the warranty and service they provide. I felt like I was paying for peace of mind and a premium product.

I couldnt have been more wrong.

I didnt get what I paid for. I didnt get what I chose. Over 20 sheets of decking had to be replaced yet they nailed them to rotten rafters. Skylights were removed and decked over.

I can see the cheap plywood is cracking and there are large gaps between the sheets. They ignored my cracked chimney and applied flashing at quadruple the height it used to be. Right there my manufacturer warranty is voided. It looks so bad from the ground I couldnt miss it.

Flashing is not black like I chose. Between the vertical height and the color clash with the brick its impossible not to notice that theres something wrong. Even the black glue they used is a goopy mess. Once installed and fully paid for youre on your own.

Ive been bouncing around between departments with no resolution. Service guy came and looked at it from the ground. 4 days and a few messages later the service manager called to tell me it wasnt his problem. Referred back to the project manager to address my questions.

I don't have questions. I have an improperly installed roof that is leaking. Service guy took the authority figure tome with me. When I expressed my discontent, he stated that he would not allow that kind of treatment.

Funny how that works. This is basically the same way everyone who is accountable behaves. If you're not happy, they call you unreasonable. Point out their mistakes or defects, and they tell you that they are the experts.

Color and type of shingle is wrong? Nope, you are blind and it is what you asked for. I pushed them to prove it, but they can't or wont. This company is a textbook example of a terrible, unscrupulous contractor.

Hire them at your own peril.

You will regret it far longer than your garbage roof will last. I know I will.

User's recommendation: Avoid at all costs

Carrie B Pir
map-marker Overlea, Maryland

Missing window

I ordered all new windows from Nu Look, it took over 6 months for them to make an appointment to put them in. When they came they told me my bay window glass had broken in the warehouse, and they had another on order for me. Fine. Two weeks go by and the new glass comes in and they never call. I had to call only to find out the glass was again broken in shipping. It has now been 2 months sense and i have called multiple times a week with no answer. I left voicemails with no returned calls. Not to mention one of my screens has a rip in it.

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Do NOT use this company!

Untrained scam artists, tiresome phony ads and incompetent installers

I agree...every day, that moron Fingles has some new idiotic ad/claim about half off roofing materials, which, no doubt, they compensate for by increasing the labor charge....very little in life is free and companies who are legit would not make a habit of discounting everything by half and staying in business....every winter this *** claims a slowdown, thus a better price, while in spring, the good weather is suddenly the best time for a new roof, or the fall because it's right before winter, etc....and always with their same phony 'half off' materials (which is baloney, BTW), no payments for 80 years or whatever...add shoddy workmanship to the mix and you are ripe for the *** if you are foolish enough to hire these clowns...I've had three friends fall prey to Nu Look (Nu Crook is more accurate) and wish they had never heard of them

Cons:
  • Phony prices and bait and switch

Preferred solution: radio stations should strongly reconsider accepting their ads

User's recommendation: you would be better off repairing your own roof blindfolded1

Featured
map-marker District 1, Maryland

WORSE EXPERIENCE EVER! WASTED $13,000.

Nu Look Home Design, Inc. was hired to replace and roof. The roof was installed in a unworkmanlike manner, in a shoddy manner with torn flashings, Other shoddy work included: (1) misaligned shingles along the edges of the roof and gables (2) shingles not nailed or affixed on the ridge vent, (3) sections of the roofing material contained inappropriate and unsightly gaps, (4) inappropriately, nails were driven in flashing with holes, etc. (5) incorrectly repainted existing flashings where the contract states should be replaced with brown in color, (6) two vent pipes left uncorked that have allowed water to penetrate into the property, damaging ceilings in the bathroom and upstairs hallway, (6) shingles installed on top of existing shingles on roof over garage (resulting in two layers of shingles). Contractor was paid $13,000 for his shoddy work. Roof cannot be repaired. Needs to be replaced. I recommend doing your due diligence before hiring a roofing company.
Tela Gqa

I don't think the roof looks terrible. I believe that can be repaired. What ever happened with it?

Ridiculous commercials

Honestly, I have never been a customer of this company. It's the radio commercials that run year round that I loathe. Every season there is a different reason why it's the best time to get a great deal on a roof replacement. And the owner, Patrick Fingles, has the most annoying whiny voice, dramatizes all of his sales points, and uses stupid analogies and jokes. He thinks he is being witty and funny but comes across as dumb. I usually don't take the time and effort to write up a negative review like this but it helps me vent a bit because I hear these ridiculous commercial daily on my favorite local radio station.
Guest

Patrick Fingles is a shady huckster marketing his company. I would never contact them for anything.

Shanie Gek

Totally agree. In fact the did have them give a quote 3 years ago and they could not explain where the discount was. Overall it was twice the cost at least of any other quote.

View more comments (1)
Misty M Ogd
map-marker District 14, Maryland

Biggest regret was not going with someone else

Nu Look Home Design - Biggest regret was not going with someone else
Nu Look Home Design - Biggest regret was not going with someone else - Image 2

Once we signed our contract on a nearly $40k job it took 2 months to begin work leaving our exposed plywood exposed even longer to the damaging elements. After the siding was completed we noticed buckling almost immediately.

Over the course of the past two months we have had to have them come out more than 3 times to fix it, finally this third time they informed us that pretty much all of the beams and plywood on my house was the reason and needed to all be replaced. So basically, when they did the job the first time they put the siding up on rotted wood without informing us so that we could make arrangements to have it taken care of. We had multiple areas of of property damaged during the installation in which we were informed we would be reimbursed for after we signed the contract stating that the job was complete so that they could be paid for the job. Not only have we not received reimbursement we are now being told that we have to wait to find out what the cost of the wood replacement is going to be so they can make proper deductions...

we have had to reschedule our daughters college send off party twice due to construction and are just completely fed up and disappointed in this company. Not to mention even after replacing the plywood my house is still buckling ....

Cons:
  • Scam tactics for selling
Damaged property
Guest

I doubt that the plywood is the source of your problem. Exterior grade plywood can hold up to the elements as a home is constructed and a couple of months of exposure shouldn't be a big deal.

My guess is that the problem is more than likely improper application of the siding. If it is vinyl siding it can't be nailed too tightly as it needs room to move as it expands and contracts. If it is wood or other material you need to have proper expansion joints to allow for expansion of the siding.

Dark colors will make the problem worse as they will heat up more and expand more. I'd get another opinion before spending more money with this contractor.

Steve S Uxx
map-marker District 1, Maryland

Horrible. Leaking Roof!!!!!

1. The shingles they started to apply were not what we selected.

They tried to convince us that the shingles would look good but they didn’t. Then once we ha no roof, they told us we would ha e to pay more $$$ for the shingles we actually had ordered.

2. Even worse, the new roof ended up leaking and caused ceiling damage. The company rep admitted that they were at fault.

They then sent a painter to touch up the damaged spots in the ceilings, with no care that the pain wouldn’t match. The painter agreed with us, but the company told him to leave. They never responded to our calls and never sent anyone out to our home to make it right.

3. Finally they had promised our home would be free of potential nails and other metals that had rained down while replacing the roof.

This was very important to us because of our children and dogs.

They were careless and we had to do multiple sweeps of our property to collect nails and shards of metal that if stepped on would have caused serious harm.

This company is less than professional. We continue to be disappointed and just want to warn people from making the mistake that we did by entrusting them with our home!

Loss:
Cons:
  • No response to customer complaints
  • Leaking roof
  • Scam tactics for selling
Damaged or defective

Preferred solution: Fix the damaged roof and paint the damaged ceilings completely and professionally

map-marker Blackwood, New Jersey

Windows leaking

My husband and I had all of our windows replaced 2 years ago and a brand new front door. They're extremely expensive but we liked the salesperson, product and the work was completed in a timely manner. The windows and doors are nice but the installation sucks! However, since then, we've had two windows leaking and resulting in damage. Our foyer window was leaking, they came out and repaired it but didnt repair the damage. Now my family room window is leaking and my husband was told to wait until the following week when someone is in the area to take a look at it. I wasn't having it, and yes I called the service department and went off! The woman Samantha had a smart mouth and I had to go there with her as well. Because I asked for someone asap to come out as water travels and will continue to cause damage not to mention that we are paying thiusands of dollars for products purchased from their company and as the customers if we need service for the poor installation that your contractors completed, how dare you tell me to chill the heck out! Poor craftsmanship and poor customer service! I referred them to several people prior to my experience with them. They need to be here by the end of this week and repair it or I will file a claim! PERIOD!!
Jackie Wlh
map-marker California, Maryland

Not a trustworthy company

Not a trustworthy company. Normally I don’t write reviews, but I am writing this one in the hopes that the folks at Nu Look reevaluate how they treat clients and/or someone else is saved from a horrible experience.

A rep from Nu Look came out to our home and presented what Nu Look had to offer. He did not tell us about the current special discount we had heard on a radio announcement. Although this concerned us a bit, we gave him the benefit of the doubt because the price was good and it seemed to be a professional company. Unfortunately, after signing the contract with them, Nu Look did not follow through and left us incredibly disappointed and very upset: 1) we had an active leak and were promised a tarp that was never delivered, despite calling/texting multiple times 2) although he insisted that their new way of measuring roofing was exact, apparently they severely mis-measured to the point that they would not have made a profit 3) and therefore they unilaterally CANCELED THE CONTRACT WITHOUT TELLING US.

After days of not having calls/texts returned by Billy or any other representative (while we were getting LOTS of rain and our roof was still not even tarped), I finally got a hold of another rep who said that he had left me a VM the previous week stating that they had measured improperly and were putting the contract “on hold”, which in their company means “canceled”. To me, “on hold” means “on hold” and “canceled” means “canceled”. He conceded that they really miscommunicated and told me he could get me a new quote.

4) This company will help you finance your roof—a great option if you need it. We had decided to do that and when they CANCELED THE CONTRACT WITHOUT TELLING US it of course DINGED OUR CREDIT.

Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy
GRACIELA R

They put new shingles onbtopnof old rotten wood

I got my roof a few months ago due to wind damage, it cost me over 6000 dollars for a "new roof". Today I hired a contractor and he showed me how they put new shingles on top of old rotten wood, basically paid for a terrible service not a new roof. They lied and said they would change the wood but did not. I guess they thought I would never know or find out. Terrible, lying company, no ethics. Bad please never use them.
Bad quality
Tim A Ghq

Verified Reviewer

Just an observation

I have never hire Nu Look but their commercials are such a scam. First off, I don't believe for a minute that Patrick Fingle has ever been on a roof.

His squeaky voice irritates the heck out of me. Secondly, they are always having a "half now and half never" sale but just keep modifying the dates and putting in a twist based on the season. If you are having a half off sale all the time then it is not a sale. If a sale then you are really ripping people off at full price since you seem to be doing ok with half off.

Also hear they are way more expensive than competitors even with half off. Big scam!

Stupid commericals
Guest

I guess the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true, lots of unhappy clients

William N Wsb

Refused to Honor Warranty for Workmanship

I had my roof replaced and many roof boards as well last summer (2017). My roof leaked this summer (2018) and an insurance estimate put the interior damage at $1,900. Turns out the leak came from a window that was right where the installers had to install flashing. The caulking around the J channel what prevents water from getting behind the siding was damaged. This window is very close to the roof surface due to pitch. I have 23 windows in my house and only one was near where they were working. None have ever leaked before. Needless to say, Nu Look declined to honor their warranty stating that they didn't cause the leak. These windows were all installed at the same time 10 years ago and I have pressure washed on multiple occasions without a leak. NOT happy with this company and DO NOT recommend you go with them.
Loss:
$1900
Warranty issue

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

Construction and Repair Expert Talks

How to Buy a Manufactured Home without Problems? Interview with L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach (Part 2)

Aug 28, 2020

In this video with the manufactured homes industry expert, Tony Kovach, we get into details of the buying process, pros and cons, red flags, and tips that every consumer should consider before getting into a deal.

Read full article
L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach
L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach

Tony Kovach is an MHProNews publisher and one of the key experts in the Manufactured Homes Industry with over 25 years of experience. He shares the latest industry insights and tips.

Daniel M Icj
map-marker Skillman, New Jersey

schedule for new roof

Hi Nu Look Home Design, I live at 2038 Serendipity Way in Schwenksville, PA 19473 and recently signed a contract for a new roof (in July, I think). I know the PM stopped by to do a site survey earlier in the month but still have not yet heard back about when the actual work will be performed. I am thinking that perhaps you don't have my correct email. It is: damann@***.jnj.com. Please contact me at your earliest convenience via email or cell (484-994-****). I have not yet received a copy of the contract, either. Sincerely, Daniel Amann

Cost is a major issue

Had them quote for a new roof based on their radio ad. Every month as it happens they changed the end for the “half later half never” thing. Even with that, they were way higher than any other quote, by a huge margin. They also make you sit through a multi-hour presentation that really just bad mouths other contractors. The guy I had in the end started begging, that he is expected to close at least one in two presentations made. So bad. Don’t waste your time or think their ad is genuine. It’s not.
Pricing issue
Guest

Agree 100%. I mute their commercials.

No credibility whatsoever when all he does is change the deal dates every month. I’d go on Craigslist for a roofer before going to this company.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1527018

Agreed!!!! I think they use subcontractors.

We called the commercial number and a co. w a different name came out. the guy walked around our house which is just medium sized and told us we need to get a new roof right away. Never even went up on roof!

Didn't have an estimate form. Just wrote down on a paper out of a notebook $36,000.00 but with their discount $28,000.00. What a joke!

Another very repeatable Co. put a beautiful roof on our house for $10,700.00 including replacing 7 pieces of plywood.

View more comments (1)

Think Twice before Hiring Company

The day the roof was to be replaced, they were nearly an hour late. Figured they just got held up on another job. When they arrived, things went okay, but they only did 2/3 of the roof because they didn't realize they were to do the sunroom roof (attached to the house). They also shredded the tree in front of my house - pulling the branches off and splitting the smaller limbs. Very upset over that. Had to complain about sunroom not being done. They did brag about assigning a project manager who would be there "every step of the way" to keep me informed. Ha! Idiot never showed up until I had a slight meltdown over the sunroom. They forgot to order the materials, but he managed to deliver them on Friday. Friday morning the gutters were to be replaced - the crew showed up but the gutters were never ordered...so that was another delay. Finally the following week after multiple complaints, the gutters were delivered and installed. A crew showed up on Friday to finish the roof for the sunroom. Caveat Emptor! Buyer beware. You can get a good job done for considerably less money and with competent people elsewhere - I'd recommend Peak Roofing...Don't use Nu-Look if you do not want to be paying for something that is overpriced, not well managed and basically a fraudulent enterprise. Very disappointed.
Bad quality

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article